statcounter

PLUNK GENEALOGY -- see "Family" label on this blog and/or write Mike at mdplunk@hotmail.com

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Just When You Thought You'd Heard It All


Dyer County is up the road a piece from Memphis, so this story was covered by the Memphis NBC affiliate. The subject of the story, an older gentleman, actually appeared in an on-camera interview in relation to the news item. I don’t think it helped him.


I can’t do any better than to print the story as it appeared on the tv station’s web site:


Dyer County commissioner Thomas Reasons now regrets a late night run to the convenience store, and he says he's sorry for any embarrassment he's caused to the county government.


"It's very embarrassing to have your name plastered all over the newspapers for getting out at one o'clock in the morning and buying beer in a bathrobe," he said in an interview Thursday.


Reasons is proud of his work as a Dyer county commissioner, but wishes he would have made a different decision after going to bed last Thursday night.
"I lay there for two hours and couldn't get to sleep, so I got up to get me some beer to help put me to sleep," he said.


Because the stores in his neighborhood were closed, Reasons drove across town to a convenience store to get beer. The trouble started for him when he went inside, wearing only a bathrobe and sandals - with nothing underneath.


"I did not intentionally expose myself," he said.
Nevertheless, a clerk noticed Reasons' robe was open when he walked in, and called police.


"I'm not going to say one hundred percent that my bathrobe was closed," Reasons said. "I thought it was." Reasons hasn't discussed the incident with Dyer County Mayor Richard Hill or other county commissioners.


"I only know what I've read in the newspapers and what the few phone calls I've received sharing the story with me," Hill said.


Reasons said he continues to apologize for any embarrassment his late night trip caused.


"I will never set foot out that front door in my bathrobe again," he said. "I promise that."


The clerk that was working at the store at the time of Reasons' incident wasn't available for comment. Reasons was never charged or cited for his actions, but he was told if he goes back to that particular store, he will be arrested.

So, the way I read it – this fellow is lying in bed naked, wants to drive across town to buy beer, and it doesn’t occur to him to put on pants and a shirt. Methinks that Commissioner Reasons has little reasoning.

No comments: