statcounter

PLUNK GENEALOGY -- see "Family" label on this blog and/or write Mike at mdplunk@hotmail.com

Sunday, November 1, 2020

Lash LaRue & Me

 Remember Lash LaRue from back in the day? He was a black hat cowboy who sported a bullwhip instead of shiny pistols Some say he influenced the development of Indiana Jones. Back in that era, my little Irish grandmother made most of my pretty dresses -- and did so on an old, pedal sewing machine. That year, I wore my newest dress when Mother took me to the fair. The dress was navy blue with a pink collar of the same fabric. I thought I was pretty sharp. I was excited to see the signs for the Lash LaRue show, so Mother bought me a ticket and in I went, finding a seat right down front.

The show began, and after LaRue did a few tricks, he said he needed two assistants from the audience. He called up a little boy and then he pointed directly at me and told me to come on stage. He had the boy and I hold various items which he snapped into with his bullwhip. The items got smaller, and I remember turning my head away for fear of getting a bullwhip in the face. Finally, the boy and I were holding a small piece of newspaper between us, and I was sure that I would lose some fingers. LaRue looked very serious, then laughed. "Not this one," he said, then he asked the audience to thank us for our help, and he sent us back to our seats while they applauded.
When the show was over, I ran outside. I couldn't wait to tell Mother all about it, and I was really happy that I'd worn my new dress.
Mike Plunk, Jocelyne Stratton and 9 others
3 Comments

No comments: