statcounter

PLUNK GENEALOGY -- see "Family" label on this blog and/or write Mike at mdplunk@hotmail.com

Monday, March 3, 2008

News You Don't Want to Know


Occasionally I wish I didn’t have such a great sense of hearing. The other night I overheard an intriguing tease for the upcoming news segment and went into the living room to find out what they meant by “dangerous garnishes.”

Seems that a lab tech, or similar professional, out for dinner one night happened to see the server slide a lemon slice onto the rim of the beverage that was coming her way. Unfortunately, the server’s fingertips slipped into the beverage as well. The lab tech was pretty grossed out and decided to take the lemon slice with her to examine for bacteria and other germies. She also decided not to drink the beverage.

The unfortunate results showed several forms of nasty bacteria on the lemon -- -- including (if you’re squeamish, close your eyes) fecal material. Whether that last item was human or animal was undetermined.

Ya see, not only do servers and bartenders handle those lemons and limes and so forth with their own bare hands, but the slices also sit around in open containers all day and night. Now I’m thinking about sneezes and other unpleasantries that could befall those innocent garnishes.

Admittedly, I’ve become a bit germ-phobic in the last few years, but this is really yucky. I’m not yet as compulsive as TV’s Detective Monk, but I do regularly go through a whole boatload of Purell and disinfectant wipes.

And now here I am at the lemon crisis. Guess our choices are these: forego lemons and limes in drinks or carry our personal Ziploc bags with our own freshly cut items. I’ll have to give that some thought. Excuse me while I go wash my hands.

No comments: