statcounter

PLUNK GENEALOGY -- see "Family" label on this blog and/or write Mike at mdplunk@hotmail.com

Friday, December 14, 2007

Card Night


When Mike and I were married back in the olden days, we used to play a board game called Aggravation. Depending on a tiny bit of skill and a roll of the dice, you could do all manner of game-busting things to your opponent’s token. It was . . . well, aggravating. It also entailed a good bit of whooping and hollering – mostly on my part – and a couple of beers.

Well, a few weeks ago I was ordering some stuff I needed from a website with low-vision products and I spotted big print playing cards. I added them to my order, and Mike’s been teaching me to play Crazy 8s. He chose that game because he's the self-proclaimed world champion Crazy 8 player. Of course, we’re much more grown up now so game nights are a little different. Yes, there’s still the whooping and hollering, but now we drink red wine. And we’re equally competitive.

Saturday night we decided to play some cards. The first game lasted only five minutes, and Mike slaughtered me. He was ahead three games to my one when we started our last game. It lasted nearly two hours. I think I finally got the hang of it.

I suggested more than once that he just let me have the card I needed so we could quit playing, but neither of us was willing to give in. If he hadn’t spotted Jack Black coming on to host Saturday Night Live, I think we’d still be going through the deck playing that last game. Perseverance isn’t always a good trait, I guess.

No comments: